Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Being a part of a family

Pretty much my entire adult life I have been in a church because my husband has worked at it. We dont choose each week where we want to go, or if we want to try a new church, we have the same church, and it becomes our family. The only times I have ever felt 'out of place' was the first few weeks at a new church. Then, after a few weeks, we start to get used to the people and the routine and they beomce family to us. This week, I am taking the kids to VBS at a local church in our community. I had never been inside this church, but I had only heard good things about it. I figured it would be fun for the kids to try out and have something to do. Monday morning, I loaded them up and took them over. Walking into a church where no one really knew me, or expected me to be there was a new experience. I had this idea in my head what it would be like to not really know anyone, walk into a church and hopefully be greeted and felt welcome. It was such a strange feeling to not be needed anywhere. There was no childrens class that needed a teacher, the nursery didn't need someone to cover for anyone, I wasn't needed anywhere. After my third and final day today (rest of the week wont work to take the kids) I have to say, I'd rather be a part of a church family and be involved than to come in and out un-noticed. Its not that the people weren't friendly, because they were, and its not because the size of the church, as it was a rather large church, it just wasn't familiar to me. This is the part people will agree/disagree with me. I dont see how people can come to church, sit through the service and leave without being 'noticed' and not want to be involved. I"m not an extravert. I dont typically like to be on stage in front of a crowd of people, but I dont mind teaching a room full of children. What good is being a part of a church family if you aren't helping out in some way? I'm not trying to guilt people into getting involved, you have to want to, but after the last three days of being un-noticed and slipping in and out. So, if you a reading this, and are one of those people who go to church but dont really get involved, consider helping out! There are probably lots of things you could do that you wouldn't even think need done. I know at my church, we are in need of sunday school teachers, junior church teachers and nursery workers. Seem scary to be around kids? Well, they aren't scary! I probably learn more from the kids on a given sunday than I teach them. Children are such a blessing and a great gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment